5 Easy Tips To Be More Healthy

5 Easy Tips To Be More Healthy

By Health and Fitness Instructor Carmen


Improving your daily routine to be more healthy can only be a few short changes away. Check out these five easy ways you can use to live better. 

Hydrate 

We all know we should drink more water, but understanding over 70% of your body’s cells rely on water for optimal performance prove this should be a no brainer.

- Aim for 250ml every hour.
- Herbal teas and sparkling water are also effective at keeping you hydrated.
- Limit soft drinks, alcohol and coffee as not only are these full of empty calories but they actually dehydrate you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Get moving


We’ve all heard that sitting is the new smoking. With every hour of sitting reducing your life expectancy by 21.8 minutes! Try not to sit for longer than 40 minutes at a time to reduce the effects of excessive sitting.

- Stand/walk while taking phone calls.
- Walk on your lunch break.
- Get a standing desk!


 

 

 

 

 

Watch out for hidden calories 

Assuming proper hormone balance, quality sleep and relatively low stress levels, losing fat occurs when we have a negative energy balance. Meaning when we burn more calories than we consume, fat loss will occur. Therefore, it is beneficial to be mindful of how much energy you are consuming and where those calories are coming from.

- Choose nutrient dense food that is also high in fibre.
- Aim to fill half your plate with vegetables and salad.
- Avoid high calorie beverages and limit high calorie, processed foods such as cakes, lollies, chocolate, etc…

Add variety into your routine

Doing the same routine day in and day out may eventually result in a plateau and hinder your body composition goals. Adding variety will assist in stimulating your metabolism and get you back on track.

- Increase reps, frequency, intensity or volume of your sessions (choose one variable per week)
- Book in with a trainer to get an individualized program specific to your goals
- Try a group fitness class!

Consistency is Key!

You could be following the best program in the world (if one were to exist) but if you’re not consistent then you’ll never fully achieve your desired outcome. Aristotle once said “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit”.

- Don’t panic if you miss one workout or have one bad meal, just get back into your routine as soon as possible.
- Try to follow the 80/20 rule. Eat well, exercise effectively and sleep enough 80% of the time, and enjoy yourself the remaining 20%. It’s about creating harmony between your wants and needs!