We have new merchandise on sale now!
Singlets, t-shirts, shorts, gym bags, towels, drink bottles and hoodies are all available from the Monash Sport Clayton Service Desk. Members can have a 10% discount on all apparel items, make sure you don't miss out!
- Singlets $25
- T-Shirts $25
- Shorts $35
- Gym Bags $30
- Towels $10
- Drink Bottles $14
- Hoodies $55
Swimming is one of the most popular activities in Australia. As well as being enjoyable and at times relaxing, swimming is a great way to keep fit, stay healthy and make friends. It is an activity that can contribute significantly to your health, both physically and mentally, and that you can continue for a lifetime. Swimming is the perfect activity to add to your health and fitness regime in 2016.
Health benefits of swimming
Swimming is a great workout because you need to move your whole body against the resistance of the water.
Swimming is a good all-round activity because it:
Swimming is a good all-round activity because it:
· keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body
· builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
· helps maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
· tones muscles and builds strength
· provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming.
Other benefits of swimming
Swimming has many other benefits including:
· being a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise
· alleviating stress
· improving coordination, balance and posture
· improving flexibility
· providing good low-impact therapy for some injuries and conditions
· providing a pleasant way to cool down on a hot day
How to get started?
The Doug Ellis Swimming Pool at the Clayton campus offers a variety of programs to suit all swimming abilities. If you are comfortable with swimming, come and try our Swim Fit program. If you would like to learn how to swim, enrol into our Learn to Swim Program or Water Wise, for Monash University students. It’s never too late to learn!
"Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success." - Pablo Picasso.
New year resolutions are always hard to stick to. With so much going on in our lives such as work, family and other commitments, achieving a goal set at the start of the year can be difficult. However there are ways to select an appropriate new years resolution, and to be successful.
Select SMART GoalsOne method of selecting an appropriate new years resolution is to ensure your goal is SMART.
S - Specific. Be very clear about what you want to achieve, don't leave room for guessing.
M - Measurable. Set a goal you can measure as you progress. It will motivate you to keep going!
A - Attainable. Make sure the goal you set is realistic and achievable, and that it is not too easy or too hard.
R - Relevant. Create a goal with importance and meaning, motivation could waiver if it doesn't feel worth doing.
T - Timely. Commit to a deadline, as open-ended goals tend to be forgotten.
Another way to achieve your new year's resolution is to set objectives along the way, which ultimately leads you to the main goal. For example, setting a weight goal for December 2016 might be hard to stick to. Instead, set monthly weight goals which lead you to your December target. If you need any assistance with your fitness goals, come down to our Fitness Centre and see our friendly staff today!
As a member, you can make an appointment for free and have a program created especially for you. Our qualified fitness instructors are always walking around the fitness centre, happy to answer your questions and keep you on the right track! Good luck!
Listed below are the improvements completed over the break at your Monash Sport facility:
- New resistance bands, foam rollers, slam balls, aqua bag, plyometric box and additional weight kettlebells.
- Resealed basketball courts and group fitness studio floors.
- Dual adjustable pulley to be replaced with the new model, and a platform to be installed into the power rack (To be in effect by the end of January).
- New foam rollers, speed ropes, bumper plates, barbell lock jaw collars, parallettes, trap bar, Bulgarian bag and new kettlebell set.
- Installation of additional TV above TRX units, to display latest Monash Sport news.
- Window frosting has been installed on the bottom row windows in the upstairs training area, to block out sun glare.
- Foam rollers have a new storage area which is more central to the functional training area.
- The Matrix Cell has been extended to enhance functional training options. With additional rings, more space for chin ups (hanging leg raises, muscle ups etc) and the introduction of ball targets.
- Replacement of rubber flooring for the second level of Fitness Centre.
- Upgrade of all TV Units and adding a new speaker to the functional training area in the Fitness Centre.
- The Stadium has been revitalised with a new coat of paint.